8 March, 2022, saw the WeCREATE launch event of the van der Schaar Lab.
The WeCREATE launch event outlined the bold and ambitious vision behind WeCREATE, and explained why we decided to build a platform for exploring the excitement of creative careers in AI, engineering, computer sciences, and applied math (with a special focus on AI and machine learning).
This session featured a panel discussion with several amazing female role models who are making their mark on the world with creativity and a sense of purpose every day. Our panelists are diverse in terms of international background, career stage, professional experience, and sector of work (hailing from both industry and academia). They shared positive messages, support, and guidance, and showcased some of their projects that are particularly creative and/or achieve social benefit across a wide variety of professional fields. They also answered questions about their work or their area in general.
Our panelists for this session were:
- Alizée Pace – Ph.D. student in machine learning & fellow, ETH AI Center in Zürich
- Efi Tsamoura – Senior Researcher, Samsung AI Research
- Ioana Bica – Ph.D. student in machine learning for healthcare, University of Oxford & Alan Turing Institute
- Jianying Hu – IBM Fellow and Global Science Leader in AI for Healthcare; Director for HCLS Research, IBM Research
- Tara Javidi – Jacobs Family Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of California San Diego
Whether you’re a high school student wondering about your next big step into higher education, an undergraduate considering further study or career options outside academia, or a postgrad or professional looking for inspiration, we hope you’ll join us for future sessions! Sign up here.
NOTE: This information was up-to-date at the time of the presentation.